A while ago, we posted an article telling you that the Colombian registry was going to relax his registration rules. For instance local presence isn’t required anymore, individuals can register a Colombian domain name, notarized paperwork isn’t needed any longer, transfers are now allowed,…
In that article, we also mentioned the Colombian registry was going to release the .co domain. We now have more information about this. The release will happen in 5 phases:
1) March 1st - March 30th: grandfathering phase => everyone who has a registered .com.co, .net.co, .org.co,… domain name can register this domain under the .co extension. You only can register the exact same name and the name you have already registered, needed to be registered before July 30th 2008.
2) April 1st - April 20th: local sunrise => everyone who has a trademark registered in Colombia can register this trademark under the .co domain.
3) April 26th - June 10th: international sunrise => everyone who has a registered trademark can register this trademark under the .co extension as long as your trademark was registered and was in full force and effect on or before July 30th 2008.
During this 3 phases all applications will be handled one by one.
4) June 21st - July 13th: landrush => during this phase everyone who wishes to do so, can register a premium domain at a higher price.
5) July 20th: general availability => everyone who wishes to do so, can register a domain under the .co extension.
During the 2 mentioned above phases, applications will be treated on a first come, first served basis.
We don’t have any information yet about the prices during the landrush. As soon as we’ve got more information about this, you’ll be able to pre-register your .co domain names via bNamed.
Posted under Uncategorized
This post was written by lieve on February 18, 2010